Whittingehame Tower, West Wing

Internal alterations and re-roofing of the former laundry to form guest bedrooms and library.


The West Wing is a single storey, former laundry block, of stone construction, extending 27m Westwards from the Tower. Alterations were carried out in the 19thC and again in the 1960’s when a library was formed and services installed. A pitched roof behind a stone parapet was removed and a flat roof created.

The West Wing has no cultural significance and the alterations are modest and referential. Replacement of the flat roof was a priority and the barrel vault recreates the height of the crenulated stone parapet, which can be seen in the record photograph of the drying green in the period 1939-41. The Garage has a simple flat roof with Larch cladding to infill between the end of the stone walling and the Boiler Room.

The 1960’s Library had its fireplace opening onto the corridor route through the space. The fireplace was re-positioned to the ridge line to create a more comfortable focal point. Three walls were clad in dark oak  shelving and panelling, which was carefully dismantled and found to be a mixture of rotting 1960’s veneered ply and older solid oak panels. All solid wood was retained and re-used on the end walls only.


Client                                      Executors of the 4th Earl of Balfour

Listing                                    Category “A” due to relationship to the Tower

Location                                 Whittingehame Tower, East Lothian

Start on site                           September 2005

Completion                            May 2006

Cost                                         £280,000


Project architect                   Ian Parsons, IPA

Site Manager                         Jim Douglas of HM Raitt

Quantity surveyor                 Allen Angus

Structural engineer               David Narro Associates

Main contractor                    HM Raitt and Sons Ltd, Musselburgh

Sub-contractors                    Melville and Whitson, plumbing and heating

Designed and hosted by Lunaria, Edinburgh