Whittingehame Estate Woodchip Conversion Project

DESCRIPTION: RE-PLANNING OF FORESTRY OPERATIONS. CONSTRUCTION OF WOOD CHIP DRYING SHEDS. CONVERSION OF BUILDINGS FROM BURNING OIL TO BURNING WOOD CHIPS. The central area of the Estate, within the perimeter wall is listed in the “Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland”. Much of the planting was designed by WS Gilpin circa 1820 to […]

Scotsman Steps

Conservation of stonework and design improvements to an important Public route   CONSULTANCY ROLE IPA was involved in the conservation project as consultant, Accredited Conservation Architect, to principal Architect, MacGregor Bowes  url: www.mcgregorbowes.com SCHEME DESCRIPTION The Scotsman Steps were built between 1899 and 1902 (architects James Dunn and James Finlay) as part of the construction […]

Lauder Road, Edinburgh, Improvements and Alterations to stone villa

New Kitchen, Bathroom and Garden Access Window to a Stone Villa   DESCRIPTION A detached stone villa in the Grange Conservation Area. The three storey building had been extended to the rear in the 1920’s with a 2 story brick extension, used at one time as a private school. This extension was completely un-insulated. The […]

Beachcote, Dunbar

Conversion of Attic to Bedrooms and Shower Room  DESCRIPTION: The site is located beside the beach at Dunbar Harbour with views North to Fife. A steeply sloping garden and restricted site access preclude a large extension although a new glazed sunroom has been designed for the South Facing rear entrance.  Originally the Golf Club House, […]

New House, Mavisbank Walled Garden

One storey house with 3 bedrooms forming part of the Walled Garden DESCRIPTION: The location is a South facing rural corridor of parkland, South of Loanhead, bounded to the South by the River North Esk. The Walled Garden is an oval form enclosed by a 3-4m high brick wall, which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. […]

Lady Eleanor’s Cottage

Fabric Repairs and New Kitchen and Bathroom to an Ornate Stone Cottage  DESCRIPTION The site is rural with mature surrounding garden and hedges, the Cottage was built as a sewing school for Lady Eleanor Balfour who died in 1869. Her husband was James Balfour MP for Haddingtonshire, who died in 1845.  The listing description attributes […]

St Peters, Falcon Road

New Wheelchair Accessible WC in Category “A” Listed Church DESCRIPTION The Church occupies an urban corner site,  the Italianate design is by Sir Robert Lorimer and the nave was built 1906-7, construction was completed by Architects Lorimer and Matthew in 1927-29.  The former Baptistery was a separate space for baptism, a practice abandoned by the Second […]

Garden Screen

Craigmore

Dykefoot Steading

Renovation of a West Lothian Steading to form an energy efficient group of houses   DESCRIPTION: Location is 19 miles South West of Edinburgh, north of the “Lang Whang”, the A70 to Carstairs, on the watershed of the Clyde and Forth river systems and the River Medway flows west forming the northern boundary (image 6). […]

Designed and hosted by Lunaria, Edinburgh